APS reminds customers of 'energy vampires,' potential electricity-related Halloween hazards
APS reminds customers that saving energy can be a real treat, but "energy vampires" in a home can be a trick.
APS offers tips to protect against vampires, fire monsters and hazards, just in time for Halloween.
“Energy vampires” are dressed up as everyday appliances and electronics, but can use loads of energy. Unplug the following appliances and electronics when not in use: coffee makers, computer monitors and printers, rarely used TVs, game systems or DVD players, and chargers plugged into the wall when not actually charging electronics. Manage such devices more easily by plugging them into power strips. Use the power strip's on/off switch to turn off a bunch of items at once.
Make sure spooky Halloween lights and electronic decorations are plugged in so that the cords are out of the way of guests and trick-or-treaters. Always unplug such decorations when leaving home or before going to sleep each night. Inspect the cords and decorations before plugging them in; if any damage is visible, do not use the items as they could cause a fire or a shock.
Do not nail or staple light strings or extension cords, as these could puncture the cords and cause fire or shock hazards.
Make sure any electric decorations used outside are designed for outdoor use to prevent shock or fire hazard.
Want to get notified whenever we write about Arizona Public Service ?
Sign-up Next time we write about Arizona Public Service, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.